Cotechino with Lentils
Cotechino with Lentils... a New Year's Eve tradition. Cotechino is an Italian fresh pork sausage that has a creamy, mild flavor. It is usually produced in links under a foot long with a diameter of nearly three inches. Clove and nutmeg seasonings give the sausage a unique flavor. You may find this sausage online, or in authentic Italian butchers.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Lentils:
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth (recommended) or water
- lentils to liquid ratios may vary depending on brand so follow directions on packages
For the Cotechino:
- 1 Cotechino - about 1 pound
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stalk of celery
- 3 bay leaves
Use the code Pasta10
and Save 10% on all Pasta and
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- For the Lentils:
- In a pot start with olive oil, when hot add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add the lentils and stir. Cover with broth; bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cook until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add fresh parsley and remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lentils should not be too dry or too soupy.
- For the Cotechino:
- Take the Cotechino and poke with fork.
- Place the Cotechino in a pot with with cold water. Add the onion, celery and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the Cotechino and let it cool.
- Slice it in 1/2 inch thick slices and place on top of lentils.