This recipe is a traditional dish that is made to celebrate St. Nicholas Day, on December 6th. When I was young my mother used to make this dish for my brothers and myself. It is easy, and my mother always used fresh ingredients. Simplicity is the best!
For 4 Serving(s)
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 pound escarole, washed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the escarole and sauté until wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add the chicken broth, cover and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
You can add a can of white kidney beans (washed and rinsed) plus cooked Tortellini. Serve with a salad and crusty Italian bread. And you can\'t forget to top with grated Pecorino-Romano cheese.