Bollito or Brodo di Carne - Meat Soup
Bollito or Brodo di Carne... there are many variations of this dish depending on the region of Italy that you visit. But this is how Nonna Romana makes it.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Bollito:
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 12 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes) peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup carrots cut into a ¼ inch dice
- 1/4 cup onion cut into a ¼ inch dice
- 2 plum tomatoes cut into a 1 inch dice
- 1/2 cup stalks of celery cut into a ½ inch dice and a few leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces cut spaghetti
- Trim the excess fat off of the short ribs with a knife and set aside.
- Put a large 6 quart stock pot over a high flame add the water and short ribs and bring to a boil.
- Skim any foam that floats to the surface with a spoon and discard. Once boiling add in the potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, oil, salt and the bay leaves. Turn the flame down to medium and cook stirring occasionally until the meat is tender and begins to separate from the bone, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- When the soup has about 20 minutes to go, bring pasta water to a boil. Break the spaghetti by hand into 2 inch pieces and drop them into salted boiling water. Cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add it to a bowl. Ladle the broth on top. Serve with lots of grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Nonna Romana Sciddurlo, First Course Recipes, Entree Recipes, Meat Recipes, Puglia Recipes, Easy Recipes, All Recipes, Soup Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Meat Bollito Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Diabetic Entree Recipes, Heart Friendly Entree Recipes, Mediterranean Diet Entree Recipes, Thanksgiving First Course Recipes, Easter First Course Recipes
I just made this soup tonight. It is absolutely delicious and hearty! For some reason, I did not h...
See Full Review >> - Mcleah
Perfect dish for a cold winters day!! - frangelica23
My favorite soup! I use potroast chunks (with the bone) to make the broth, like my Mamma Magnifico ...
See Full Review >> - mjocius
My Mom (currently age 98) made this with chicken added because it was her broth recipe--we would enj...
See Full Review >> - audreygaia
My Mom made that often. Thanks for the reminder, cant wait to make it! So delicious! - jackiezaza
My favorite soup growing up. Everyone in my mother's family made this soup. Recently made this for m...
See Full Review >> - email@example.com
Delicious, my mom made this soup and would take some of the beef and put it on a large platter with ...
See Full Review >> - deedee827