Gemelli with Sausage and Mushrooms
A few weeks ago I paid the wonderful Nonna Angelina a visit at her daughters home in Long Island. There was no point in arguing, I was happily staying for dinner. As soon as I arrived I could smell the deliciousness in the kitchen. Nonna Angelina was working on a delightful sauce of shallots, sweet fennel sausage and mushrooms (my favorite) tossed with a bit of cream. As I swooned with every bite at dinner I knew I had to make it at home as soon as possible, using her recipe of course!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Pasta:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots or 1 large one, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 1 pound sweet fennel sausage, casing removed
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound dried gemelli pasta or farfalle
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Put a large saute` pan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the pan breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until the sausage is evenly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and return the pan to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and season as desired. Lower the flame to the lowest setting possible.
- Cook the pasta in generously salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and add to the saute` pan along with the grated cheese. Turn of the flame and toss for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve in warm bowls.