How to Make Sausage
How to make homemade sausage to be either cured or cooked fresh.
- Casings Preparation: Before you begin you need to buy from your butcher the casings for the sausage. The casings will be given to you stored in salt. They need to be cut in lengths of about 12 inches, washed well under cold running water and put in a bucket of fresh water and peels of orange or lemon for about two days (store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them).
- Remove all the meat from the pork's shoulders (front legs). Obtain all the meat and discard all the fat. Cut the meat in small chunks.
- Grind the meat with a meat grinder. You want to use an adapter that will give small chunks of meat..
- The only MUST seasoning is SALT. Dosage: 25 Grams (.88 Oz ) per 1 Kilogram ( 2.2 Lbs ) of ground meat. All the other seasonings: fennel seeds, hot pepper and black pepper kernels use as desired.
- To check the level of seasoning, saute` a little meat and taste. If necessary add more seasonings.
- Reverse the casings inside out. You want the external part of the casing to be in contact with the meat. Tie one end of each casing with cotton twine, puncture a few small holes with a needle and fill with meat using a sausage machine and tie the other end.
- Your sausage links are now all done and ready to be cured or cooked fresh.
- To cure them, hang them in a cold and well ventilated room for 1 week for the skin to dry. Depending on the weather and climate of your space it may take 3-4 weeks.
- Once cured, the sausages, or salami, must be stored in a cool part of the house in a bucket and completely covered with oil (vegetable oil is fine) or in vacuum sealed bags.
Nonna Rosetta Rauseo, Appetizer Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Meat Recipes, Campania Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Super Bowl Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Memorial Day Recipes, 4th July Recipes, Labor Day Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Summer Appetizer-Side Recipes, Barbecue Recipes