Italian Squash (Cucuzza)
We used to grow this kind of squash (cucuzza) in our back yard. This type of squash is very, very long. This one was givien to me by my sister in law... from her back yard.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Cucuzza:
- 1 Long Italian Squash (cucuzza)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup Italian red sauce
- 3 1/2 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
Start Thinking of Christmas!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Cups and Pots
Get both HERE!!!
- Peel the Italian Squash ((cucuzza) and cut into pieces... 2-3 inches (then cut pieces in half).
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Peel about 4-5 large Potatoes and cut them in 4-6 pcs... depends on how big they are.
- Put 1/4 cup of EVOO in the 6 Qt. pot... heat oil for about 1 minute... then...
- Add the cut potatoes and continue to saute (med heat) (stir every few minutes) for about 10 minutes then.
- Add the sliced onions to the pot and continue to saute` (med heat) (stir every few minutes) for about 15 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup of Italian Red Sauce and contiune to saute` (stir every few minutes) until the potatoes start to get a little bit soft.... then.....
- Add the cut Italian Squash (cucuzza) and the 3 1/2 cups of water into the pot. Also add salt & pepper to your taste (stir every few minutes)
- Cook until potatoes and squash are tender (but not too soft).
- Serve in a bowl with a loaf of Italian Bread
This dish is good on a cold winter day.... as well as any other day. Enjoy
Made this tonight. My husband and my grandson ( 11 months) loved it and both had two bowls of it. It...
See Full Review >> - loridilo
Fresh grown cucuzza (Italian Squash) makse a great side dish or even as a meal. Enjoy!! - Mimi
Memories...A cucuzza! Being Sicilian, my mother used to make this dish this time of year with the po...
See Full Review >> - Divasinthakitchen
I love this! My Mom used to make exactly this way! So delicious! - jackiezaza
This is exactly the way I make it-from Grandmas recipe - vallygally