Italian Thanksgiving Turkey
A classic Italian Thanksgiving Turkey made with the Italian touch! Not just any stuffing... a stuffing of delicious Porcini Risotto and much more!
The video of this recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna Roku Channel and you can enjoy it on a large screen TV in the comfort of your living room.
For 15 Person(s)
For the Turkey:
- 1 turkey - of about 15 pounds
- 2 cups fresh Porcini mushrooms or other type of fresh mushrooms diced in small pieces
- 2 links hot Italian sausage
- 2 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 10 chestnuts - boiled
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 large onions
- 10 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- hot pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Sticks of butter
- chicken broth
- dry white wine
- 1 head celery
- 10 carrots
- 1 apple
- Stuffing Preparation:
- In a large saute` pan, add about 5 Tbs of EV olive oil and one sliced onion.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the minced garlic.
- Chop the fresh rosemary, sage, oregano and thyme and add to the pan.
- Add a cup of chicken broth to prevent from burning.
- Add the fresh Porcini mushrooms (you can also use dry Porcini mushrooms, soak in lukewarm water before using) or any other type of fresh mushrooms that you may have.
- Stir and salt as desired. You can also add some hot pepper as desired.
- Add the fresh parsley coarsely chopped.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the pan. Break up the sausage in the pan in small pieces.
- Saute the sausage and add 1 cup of dry white wine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and continue to saute` for about 10 mins.
- Risotto Preparation:
- In a large saute` pan, add 1/2 stick of butter and 3 Tbs of EV olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted, slowly add the Arborio rice to the pan and stir continuously so that the rice will coat itself with the liquids.
- Add 1 cup of dry white wine and continue to stir.
- Once the wine is almost totally absorbed, add one cup of chicken broth and continue to stir.
- Add the chestnuts and stir.
- Add the grated Pecorino Romano cheese and stir.
- Add the grated Parmigiano cheese and stir.
- After the cheese has melted completely, pour all the content of the other pan into the Risotto.
- Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Assembly of the Turkey:
- Clean and wash well your turkey in cold water and then give him a nice bath/wash in apple cider vinegar. Dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Take a large Roaster pan with a rack and add the carrots, the celery and one onion cut into large pieces.
- Add 2 cups of white wine and 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Position the turkey on the rack and fill its stomach with the Risotto stuffing.
- Close the neck opening with an apple.
- Tie the legs. Tie the wing and spread butter all over the body.
- Cover the turkey with a dome of aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Cook the turkey at 400F for the first 20 mins. then lower to 300F and continue to cook for 20 mins. for each pound of the turkey.
- Every 30 mins. bathe the turkey.
- Once the cooking time has terminated, remove the aluminum foil and continue to cook the turkey until it browns to your liking.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
Put one under every Christmas Tree!
PS: You will most likely have some leftover stuffing after you fill the bird. Do not worry, put in an oven pan with some vegetables and white wine/chicken broth and bake for the last hour together with the turkey... you will need this extra stuffing as everyone will love it!
Yummi Yummi!! - tlen
Great recipe! Looks delicious, and actually very easy to make. - jmoret
Will definitely give this recipe a try; its a meal on its own... delish! - TinaMB
Very delicious and easy to make----but when do you add the bread crumbs? I added them at the end---...
See Full Review >> - audreygaia