Lamb Shanks, Red Lentils and Broccolini
This meal will awaken your senses as Spring awakens the earth! SIGHT: By its bright beautiful colors! SMELL: By the aromas of the fresh herbs, caramelized vegetables and the roasting lamb! TOUCH: The textures of the meal melting over your tongue! TASTE: Sweet, buttery, earthy, savory and the freshness of this combination! HEARING: Mmmmmmms and ahhhhhs as your family indulge in this delicious meal!!!
For 4 Person(s)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 Lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 4 large cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 cups Red Wine of your choice
- 1 (4 cup) carton of beef broth
- 1 large sprig of fresh Rosemary
- 2 cups Red Lentils (They look like little gems don't they?!!)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced
- 1 large red pepper roasted (skin, stem and seeds removed) or you may use 1 cup of jarred roasted red pepper
- 1 clove garlic peeled and grated
- salt to taste
- 2 bunches of broccolini rinsed and ends cut off
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 sprigs Fresh Mint sliced into thin ribbons
- Salata or Feta crumbled
Get into the Christmas Spirit!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Pots and Cups are now in Stock!
Get both HERE!!!
- Lamb Shanks:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On stove top Heat olive oil in 5 quart oval dutch oven using med heat
- Dry lamb shanks well with paper towel
- Season shanks with oregano, salt and pepper
- Place shanks in dutch oven and brown on all sides
- Remove shanks from pan and put on plate
- Add onions and cook til translucent
- add garlic and cook til fragrant (3 to 4 minutes)
- Deglaze pan with red wine
- add lamb shanks and any accumulated juices back into pan
- add enough beef broth to almost cover lamb shanks
- add Rosemary sprig
- Put lidded Dutch oven into a 350 degree oven and braise for 2 hours turning shanks every 30 minutes.
- Red Lentils:
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium low heat
- When oil shimmers, add onions, tomatoes and roasted pepper
- after 4 minutes add grated garlic
- caramelize vegetables.
- Remove from heat and put into the bowl of a food processor.
- Boil lentils in water til tender.
- Drain lentils and add to food processor bowl
- Lightly puree lentils and caramelized veggies
- Add sea salt to taste
- Boil broccolini til tender and drain well
- Heat olive oil and garlic in large pan til fragrant
- Remove garlic (you are flavoring oil)
- lower heat and add broccolini
- saute til glossy about 5 minutes
- add lemon zest and mint
- add lemon juice
- Remove from pan and put on large serving platter
- Sprinkle Ricotta Salata or Feta over broccolini