Mussels and Canellini Beans Soup
Mussels and Canellini Beans Soup - Zuppa di Cozze con Fagioli. A wonderful soup that will satisfy many appetites.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Soup:
- 1 pound canellini beans, dry or from a can
- 2 pounds mussels, washed and beards removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- red pepper flakes, as desired
- salt, as desired
- If you are using dry canellini beans, put them in a pot and cover them with water. The water should be about 2 inches over the beans.
- In the morning, add more water to bring the water level to 2 inches above the beans and cook the beans at medium flame. Cook the beans until they are al dente. Set aside.
- Put a 12 inch sauté pan with a lid over a medium flame and add the mussels.
- Cover the pan and let the mussels open, about 7-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once all the mussels have opened remove the pan from heat and shell all the mussels, making sure to reserve their juice. Set aside.
- In a pot, add the extra virgin olive oil, the garlic, the carrots and celery. Saute` all the ingredients for about 7 minutes at medium flame.
- Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and the rosemary sprigs. Add red pepper flakes as desired. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Filter the juice from the mussels and add it to the pot. Add 2 cups of water from when you cooked the beans or if you are using beans in a can, add 2 cups of plain water. Adjust for salt.
- Bring everything to a boil and add the mussels and the beans. Once everything comes to a boil, set the flame to medium and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with slices of Italian bread.