Nonna Titina’s Mostaccioli Cilentani - Glazed Snack Cakes
Nonna Titina’s Mostaccioli Cilentani - Glazed Snack Cakes.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cakes:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons 00 or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 packets Vanillina or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided - Vanillina available in La Bottega
- *You can also use 1 Packet of Paneangeli Powder instead of baking powder and vanilla
- 10 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups apricot jam (or any jam you prefer)
- sprinkles to decorate
For the Glaze:
- *This glaze is a bit tricky to master! If in doubt, I reccomend making the raw glaze below this recipe.
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the Raw Glaze:
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Get ALL the ingredients you need in La Bottega!
- To make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10x15 inch pan with baking spray or grease with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside
- Place the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and heat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolks and sugar.
- Fold in the dry ingredients little by little until fully absorbed.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cut the cake into squares or diamonds about 2” by 3”.
- Cut each cake in half an place about a teaspoon of jam in the center. Place each cake in a cupcake liner.
- Prepare the Glaze:
- Place the sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over a medium flame, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, lower the flame to a simmer and cook until the sugar forms a line between your thumb and forefinger, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and do not touch or stir the mixture until completely cooled, about 1 hour.
- Pour the lemon juice over the glaze and begin to stir quickly with a wooden spoon until the glaze turns white.
- Place the glaze over a low flame once again to melt it down. Emerge the individual cakes in the glaze.
- For the Raw Glaze:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar and milk until smooth. For thinner glaze add more milk. For thicker glaze add more confectioners sugar.
- Dip each cake into the glaze.
- Top with sprinkles. Place on a wire rack to dry.