Oven Roasted Sausage Peppers and Potatoes
During the winter months you can't beat tossing a few things together in a little extra virgin olive oil and seasoning and letting them roast! The flavors really deepen and you get a beautiful char on everything. This dish reminds me of the summer I spent in Calabria at a villa near the town of Tropea where everything had a spice to it. The oil, the sausage and especially the peppers! I wanted to make a dish with a little calabrese flair and the first thing that came to mind was sausage and peppers. I started by pan frying the sausage a bit for a nice sear on the outside. This also makes it easier to cut the sausage into pieces. I used mini sweet peppers because they're bursting with flavor and I love the contrast against the spicy hot sausage. I threw in some sliced baby red potatoes which take on a wonderful buttery quality when cooked and really absorb flavor well. I also added some sweet red onions which remind me of the famous red onions of Tropea and have more flavor than the white or yellow variety.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Sausage:
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound baby red skinned potatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 pound sweet mini peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 medium red onion cut into thin slices
- 8 garlic cloves cut in half
- salt and pepper as desired
Start Thinking of Christmas!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Cups and Pots
Get both HERE!!!
- Put a large saute` pan over a medium-high flame and heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Using a fork prick the sausage links all over. Place the links in the saute pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and slice the links in half. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together 1/2 cup of the oil, sliced potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Spread the mixture in a large roasting pan or a 13x18 inch baking sheet. Top with the sausage and roast for 30-40 minutes turning halfway though.