Panuzzi di Pasqua
Panuzzi di Pasqua... an old Sicilian tradition for Easter.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Panuzzi:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 ounces Crisco or Lard
- 5 ounces sugar
- 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk, as much as needed
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Merinque powder
- 2 tablespoons water, lukewarm
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and sugar and set aside
- In a stand mixer, mix the flour and the Crisco. Once the Crisco is fully absorbed, add the baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the mixture of the eggs and sugar. Mix well and add lukewarm milk, as much as needed to get a soft ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic paper and set aside for 30 min. to rest.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Roll balls of about 2" in diameter and place on a baking pan liked with baking paper.
- Flatten the ball a little with the palm of your hand and with a very sharp knife score the ball with a cross.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until golden.
- Once the Panuzzi are cold, mix the powdered sugar, the meringue powder and water to make your icing. Start with 2 Tbs of water, if necessary add a little more.
- With a brush add the icing on top of the Panuzzi and decorate with colored sprinkles.