Pignoccata or Pignolata
Pignoccata or Pignolata... a Carnevale tradition from Palermo.
- On a board mix the flour with the eggs and half of the sugar until the dough is smooth and well amalgamated.
- Roll a piece of dough into a stick and cut into pieces of about 1/2 inch in length.
- Fry all your pieces in hot olive oil for 2 minutes.
- In a pot, boil the water mixed with the honey and the remaining sugar.
- Add to the pot all the pieces and continue to cook. Once they begin to stick to one another, pour them in a wide plate and sprinkle with lemon zest.