Tomato Jarring Italian Style
Tomato Jarring Italian Style.
A fun day at the Branciforte's home in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, as the entire family participates in the yearly ritual of jarring tomatoes.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Tomatoes:
- 12 pounds Roma tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves as desired
Try La Pasta della Nonna in
La Grande Famiglia Pasta Pack
Get it HERE!
- Yield: 9 one Pint Jars
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the tomatoes in and boil them until all the tomatoes have split, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes and transfer them to a fabric lined crate. You can line the crate with cheesecloth or even an old tablecloth.
- Squeeze the excess water out from the tomatoes by twisting the cloth and having someone push the water out with a wooden spoon or any other utensil.
- Pass the tomatoes through an electric tomato machine. This will separate the skin and seeds from the tomato purée.
*Find a similar machine to the one we used in the video HERE
*An electric machine will make things much faster and easier but it is not necessary. It will definitely take a little longer, but you can also use a Food Mill like Nonna did back in the day! Get Nonna's Food Mill HERE!
- Keep one bucket to catch the tomato purée and another to catch the skin and seeds.
- Process the skin and seeds 2 more times to extract all their liquid. The purée will be thicker each time they are passed through the machine. Discard the skins and seeds after they have been fully processed.
- Add a few basil leaves to the bottom of each jar and fill the jars all the way up to the neck.
- Seal the jars by twisting them very tightly. Get your Canning Kit HERE
- Transfer the jars to a fabric lined pot. You can use an old bedsheet for this and it will help protect the jars if one bursts during boiling.
- Fill the pot up with fresh water until the lids are barely covered. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil the jars for 45 minutes to vacuum seal them.
- Transfer the jars to a crate and wrap the crate in a blanket or an old tablecloth. This will prevent them from cooling down too quickly. Cool completely.
I love everything about this. Especially the love of family coming together! So beautiful! - Mommy41