Almond Paste Christmas Cookies
Almond Paste Christmas Cookies.
For 1 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 8 ounces peeled, blanched almonds (slivered almonds are fine)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 egg white
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 packet Vanillina, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green food coloring as desired
- Red and green candies cherries, halved
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the almonds to the bowl of a food processor and process for about 90 seconds. You don’t want the almonds to be too finely ground. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, egg white, zest and vanilla and mix until all the ingredients are fully absorbed and the mixture resembles a paste.
- Divide the paste in half and transfer one half to a separate bowl.
- Add green and red food coloring to each half until the desired color is reached.
- Take a piece of red almond paste about the size of a rounded tablespoon and roll into balls. Roll each one in granulated sugar and place them on the baking sheet. Top with a red candied cherry half.
- Take a piece of green almond paste about the size of a tablespoon and roll into a ball, then roll the ball between your two hands to elongate it into a rectangle. Roll each one in granulated sugar and place it on the baking sheet. Top with a green candied cherry half.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly browned. The cookies may feel a bit soft out of the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.