Riso, Patate e Cozze - Rice, Potatoes and Mussels
Rice, Potatoes and Mussels... a classic from Bari (Puglia).
For 6 Person(s)
For the Rice:
- 2 pounds mussels
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 pound Arborio rice
- 3 medium onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pound rated Grana Padano or Parmigiano
- 1 cup extra virginolive oil
- 3 ounces resh parsley
- salt & pepper
March 19th is
St. Joseph's Day!!!
Get your Complete
St. Joseph Box
- Wash the mussels in fresh water.
- Take a deep oven pan and add some oil and salt.
- Add one sliced onion, 2 cloves of chopped garlic and parsley.
- Add 1/3 of the tomatoes cut in pieces.
- Sprinkle with pepper and cheese.
- Add half of the potatoes cut in round slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Repeat the condiment process with onions, garlic, parsley and another 1/3 of the tomatoes.
- Deposit the mussels, shell and fruit, on top of the potatoes and sprinkle with pepper as desired.
- Spread the rice over the mussels and sprinkle with pepper as desired and cheese.
- Cover the mussels with the remaining potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with the remaining garlic, onion, parsley, tomatoes. Again add pepper as desired.
- Add one last sprinkle of cheese.
- Set the oven at 375F.
- At the same time put the pan on the stove and fill the pan with hot water up to the rim of the pan.
- Cook the entire content of the pan until the water in the pan comes to a boil.
- Once the water comes to a boil, put the pan in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Monitor the water level in the pan, if it get too dry add some boiling water.
Open each mussel in half and place them in a bowl of salted water.