Timballo di Anelletti Siciliani
Timballo di Anelletti Siciliani and Eggplants.
For 5 Person(s)
For the Timballo:
- 1 pound Anelletti pasta
- 2 large and long eggplant
- 1/2 pound mortadella, cubed
- 1 pound mozzarella
- grated pecorino cheese
For the Ragu`:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound peas
- 1 medium onion
- 2 leaves basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Get authentic Sicilian Anelletti Pasta HERE
- Wash the eggplants, remove the skin and slice them longway about 1/4" thick.
- Coast each slice with olive oil, put them on a baking sheet and bake them for 10 mins at 350F. Set them aside.
- Make the Ragu`:
- In a pan, add a Tbs of olive oil and brown the ground meat. Discard any fat that is produced. Set aside.
- In a pot, add 3 Tbs of olive oil and the onion sliced very fine.
- Once the onion is translucent add the crushed ground meat.
- Let the meat saute in the onion for a few minutes and add the peas followed by the crushed tomatoes and the basil. Add salt as desired.
- Cover and let the Ragu cook for 20 mins at medium flame.
- Boil the pasta to a very al dente consistency and run it under cold water.
- Take a few spoons of the sauce and mix it in the pasta so that it does not stick together and set aside.
- Take a 10" x 5" bundt pan and line it with slices of eggplant by laying each slice starting from the center of the pan so that a part of the slice will hang outside the external border of the pan.
- Add a layer of pasta followed by a layer of the meat sauce, some grated cheese, a layer of mortadella and then a layer of mozzarella.
- Repeat the layering process again.
- once finished, flip over the content the part of the eggplant slices hanging from the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 30 mins.