Baked Pennette with Mortadella
On a chilly day, there is nothing better than smelling the aroma of Baked Pennette with Mortadella. Make this dish with Ziti, Penne, Fusilli, or any pasta that you prefer.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Pennette:
- 1 pound Pennette pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 leaves of sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- pepper flakes
- grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 pound mozzarella
- 1/4 pound mortadella
Start Thinking of Christmas!
La Dolce Vita Coffee
Cups and Pots
Get both HERE!!!
- In a saute pan, add the EV olive oil and the chopped garlic.
- Let the garlic saute for a few minutes until it turns lightly golden and add the ground meat.
- Saute the meat by braking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the bay leaves and the sage leaves broken by hand. Add salt and red pepper flakes as desired.
- Saute the meat until it turns brown. Add the red wine.
- Let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes and add the chopped tomaroes.
- Turn the flame to medium and cover the saute pan.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
- Cook the Pennette half way thru, drain the water and blanch the pasta.
- Take a deep dish baking pan and add a layer of sauce at the bottom. Follow with a layer of pasta, a coating of sauce and pieces of Mortadella. Add shreds of Mortadella and a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese.
- Repat the layering process until you have used up all the pasta.
- Do not add Mozzarella on the final layer. You will add it in the last 10 minutes of the baking process.
- Bake the pasta for about 20 mins. After 10 mins. add a coating of Mozzarella on top.